Harry Garside has moved on from his ex-girlfriend Ashley Ruscoe and was seen enjoying a quiet cafe date with his new love in Bondi… but it seems his former partner still holds an interest in what he’s up to.
Lurking just a few yards away, Ruscoe was seen chatting with a friend behind a car on Campbell Parade – laughing as they glanced over towards Garside while he waited for his new squeeze to arrive.
A gym wear-clad Ruscoe – who was charged with assaulting Garside last month – watched with her mouth agape as the 2018 Commonwealth Games lightweight champion tapped away on his laptop on Thursday, before eventually leaving when she spotted a photographer taking pictures of her.
Shortly after she left, Garside was joined by his new girlfriend, whose identity remains unknown, for a coffee.
The loved-up pair locked lips as they made the most of the sunny winter’s day, before sauntering off with their arms around each other’s shoulders.
Harry Garside (left) was spotted with his new girlfriend in Bondi on Thursday
His ex-girlfriend Ashley Ruscoe (left) was pictured with a friend nearby the café Garside sat at
Ruscoe and her friend were seen laughing and looking over towards the Olympic star
Last month, Daily Mail Australia exclusively revealed Ruscoe was charged with assault – just months after wrongly accusing her Olympic star ex of the same alleged crimes.
The 35-year-old was arrested and taken to Waverley Police station in Sydney’s east on July 12, where she was charged with domestic violence-related offences against Garside including common assault and stalking.
‘Officers attached to Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command conducted an investigation in an alleged domestic violence incident at a Bellevue Hill home on Wednesday 1 March 2023,’ NSW Police said.
‘Following further inquiries, police attended the Bellevue Hill home about 4.45pm today (Wednesday 12 July 2023), and arrested a 35-year-old woman.
‘She was taken to Waverley Police Station and charged with common assault (DV) and stalk/intimidate intend cause fear physical etc harm (DV).’
Ruscoe appeared in Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney on July 19, with her lawyer she would plead not guilty and the case had a ‘troubling’ history. The case is scheduled to return to court on August 30.
The charges against Ruscoe, a boxing and martial arts instructor, came after Garside also faced charges of common assault following an investigation into claims of domestic violence between the pair.
In early May, the boxer was arrested by NSW Police in dramatic scenes at Sydney Airport as he returned home with his father after shooting the reality TV show I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! in South Africa
Garside and his new partner were picturing having coffee at a cafe in Bondi
Garside’s new partner arrived shortly after Ruscoe had left the scene after spotting a photographer snapping pictures of her
On March 25, the same day he originally left for South Africa with no communication with the outside world until his elimination, Ruscoe approached police to indicate she had fears for her safety.
‘I categorically deny the allegations of violence and dispute the account given to police,’ Garside said at the time.
All charges against him were dropped in June.
Garside announced in a statement he had been informed by the ‘police prosecutor that they had dropped all matters against me’.
‘Today I have been vindicated,’ he said.
Daily Mail Australia obtained footage and audio recordings in the days after the dramatic announcement that ultimately led police to drop domestic assault charges against Garside and prove his innocence.
The recordings clearly show Garside was not aggressive towards Ruscoe.
The 26-year-old hasn’t fought since he won his third professional bout in May last year and was on Fox Sports providing colour commentary for Nikita Tszyu’s fight card on Wednesday night.
Garside and Ruscoe split up last year after she wrongly accused him of assaulting her
Ruscoe claimed Garside had assaulted her but all charges against him were dropped in June
In July, Daily Mail Australia revealed Ruscoe was charged with assaulting and stalking Garside
The legal case had posed a threat to Garside’s potential place in Australia’s boxing squad for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris, but after the charges were dropped the 25-year-old looked clear to defend the bronze he won in Tokyo in 2021.
In June, however, the Daily Telegraph reported that a breach of contract claim by his former manager could see Garside miss out on the Olympics.
Peter Mintrevski Jnr has hired Adam Houda to launch legal action. The star’s former manager had previously seen a settlement offer reportedly worth $50,000 rejected by Garside.
A spokesperson for Garside said they hoped to wrap up talks with his former manager as soon as possible.
The boxer signed a three-year management deal with Mitrevski to turn professional after the Tokyo Games, but they parted ways after just six months, in which he fought three times.
Mitrevski claims he paid the fighter a sign-on fee, provided a car and put him in a position where he earned commentary opportunities on Fox Sports before going on I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.
Garside won the bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics in the lightweight division
Ruscoe is a boxing and martial arts instructor and regularly teaches classes in Sydney
The president of Boxing Australia, Phil Goodes, confirmed that Garside needs to get clearance to fight at the Olympic qualifiers.
‘I understand there is a contractual agreement in place between Harry and his manager and promoter that he needs to comply with,’ Goodes told News Corp.
‘Our CEO has sent him a letter to that effect.
‘Harry needs to provide evidence that his issues have been resolved.
‘We haven’t disqualified anyone at this point but we’ve requested it be cleared up prior to any amateur competition.