Eddie Hearn has revealed Conor Benn could be back in action next Saturday, September 23rd on the Richardson Hitchins vs Jose Zepeda undercard following his year and half absence from the ring.
Benn had been cleared to fight following the verdict of the UK Anti-Doping’s (UKAD) investigation into his failed drug tests last year. However, multiple sources told Mail Sport that both UK Anti-Doping and the British Boxing Board of Control triggered their right to contest the decision of the independent National Anti-Doping Panel.
As a result, it remains to be seen whether Benn – who has maintained his innocence and spent ‘hundreds and thousands’ on scientists to clear his name after traces of clomiphene were found in his samples – can fight in the UK at present.
Nevertheless, Benn is clear to fight abroad and Hearn is eager to get him back in the ring sooner rather than later. Therefore, The Destroyer could feature on Hitchins vs Zepeda undercard in Orlando.
Hearn told Mail Sport: ‘He [Benn] may fight on the card in Orlando. We are speaking to the board and they have no objection on him fighting internationally. Whether they are going to let him fight in the UK now, we will see.
Eddie Hearn has revealed Conor Benn could be back in action next Saturday, September 23rd
Benn could fight on the Richardson Hitchins vs Jose Zepeda undercard following his time out
The fight next week would serve as a tune-up fight for Benn (above) ahead of his highly anticipated clash with Chris Eubank Jr in December
‘He’s ready to go straight in for a big fight now but I think Tony Sims would like him to have a run out first. He’s been out of the ring for a year and a half. It’s a long time but he is looking unbelievable in the gym. He’s ready to return.’
The fight next week would serve as a tune-up fight for Benn ahead of his highly anticipated clash with Chris Eubank Jr in December.
Eubank Jr and Benn had been set to renew an old family feud stretching back decades. They were due to face each other in October last year for a much-anticipated bout.
However, on the eve of the fight it was revealed by Mail Sport that Benn had twice tested positive for the banned substance clomifene in the build up to the fight.
The promoters of both fighters tried to keep the fight on, but when lawyers failed to obtain a High Court injunction the fight was shelved – leaving fans somewhat disappointed.
Matchroom confirmed the news, revealing the bout was ‘postponed’ and insisted the Board’s decision to withdraw their sanctioning was ‘procedurally flawed and without due process’.
However, there is no doubt the pair will go toe-to-toe in the future – with Hearn revealing talks for the Benn and Eubank Jr clash are already underway for December this year.
Some fans are opposed to the match-up, but Hearn insists Benn is well within his rights to fight.
When asked how he felt about the criticisms surrounding the potential fight between Benn and Eubank Jr, the Matchroom promoter said: ‘I don’t know what else to do.
‘He’s not suspended. He’s never been charged. He’s never been found guilty. What do you want me to do? Say okay well he won’t fight because you’re not happy about it.
Benn’s grudge match with Chris Eubank Jr (left) was axed last year after the failed drugs test
‘He’s been through every process that has been asked of his and now he’s having to go through another one. He’s been cleared to fight and he could fight as early as two weeks time.’
Hearn went on to speaking about the importance of Eubank Jr’s win over Liam Smith on the Benn fight. He said: ‘All of a sudden it takes Eubank vs Benn back to being bigger than ever.
‘I text Kalle Sauerland on the morning of the fight saying please win or lose well. The fact that he won makes the Benn fight massive.
‘We are in talks for that fight in December. I am sure you are going to see that fight as the biggest fight for both. Hopefully we can get it over the line.’